Friday, September 10, 2010

The Beginning

My husband and I were married in Nov. 2003 and did not begin trying to conceive (TTC) until Dec. 2007.  We waited so long for a variety of reasons, all of which seem so silly to me now. 

Would it have made a difference?  I don't know.  I never will. 

After 6 months of trying, I called my gyn's office and was told by the nurse that answers calls that I was welcome to come in but she doubted the doctor would do anything.  So, I waited until my next regular annual appointment in September of 2008 and when I was telling the nurse who was taking my stats about our concerns, she said, oh yes, 9 months is a long time.  Nothing frustrates me more than to talk to multiple people in the same doctor's office and get differing facts/opinions.  The doctor offered to give me Clomid or testing.  I opted for Clomid - and took Clomid 50mg for 3 months to no avail.  I called back and the gyn ordered a day 3 blood panel, which included a glucose test, for which they failed to tell me I needed to fast.  Everything looked normal except my blood sugar, which obviously wasn't accurate since I wasn't fasting.  He also sent me to have an HSG - for which I was woefully unprepared.  I didn't do enough "real life" research on the test, having only read the medical websites about it, so I didn't have my husband come with me.  I also went to a testing place that didn't have an x-ray table with stirrups so I had to try to get into this terrible position with my feet on the corners of the table and my rear end scooted all the way forward.  It was awful, I don't think I'll go into details.  I probably don't need to.  The HSG was normal.  My husband went for a semen analysis, which was normal, except for a slightly low volume, which they claimed can sometimes happen in that kind of situation.  My gyn doubled the Clomid, which I took for 3 more months, to no avail.  The next step was for the gyn to put me on Metformin because I might have PCOS because my blood sugar looked funny in the test they did on me INCORRECTLY!  Whatever.  That stuff made me feel awful, for the record.  They also switched me to Letrazole that month.  The next month, we did Letrazole and an IUI (at my gyn).  Well, that was a wretched experience as well.  After all of that, I decided we needed to see a specialist.  I had been holding back because I had no insurance coverage for testing or treatment.  And, I am pretty cheap.  If I am cheap, my husband is a miser.  Also, up until about this point in time, he showed no interest in helping me do research or find anything out about infertility and what to do.  All of that was about to change.

So, that's the beginning of our story.  The next chapters opens with our first RE experience. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment